Friday, December 3, 2010

May your days be Merry

I always loved the Christmas season growing up...still do. I think a big part of the reason I love it is because of my Mom. As far back as I can remember, she has had the most beautifully decorated home at Christmas time. I love it. It just makes everything seem so warm, so cozy, so fun. So, everywhere I go, Christmas decorations just remind me of home.

I am attempting to re-create that feeling in my own home. I do not, however, have the eye for decorating that my Mom does. Thankfully, she has helped me out through the years and has created a collection of decor for me, as well as some ideas on how to put displays together. Mostly I just try to copy what she does.

Last year, my Mom made a display on our mantle with these vases. We don't have a mantle in this house, so I had to modify. Above the kitchen cabinets seemed like a good place, out of reach of little curious hands.

Dylan was all about helping me weave the garland and twinkly lights on the stairwell this year. He also attempted to tie up a few of the bows. Granted, I had to 'fix' a couple things after he went to bed, but it was fun having an excited little helper.

My favorite holiday decorations are snowmen. I just love their smiley faces.

It was fun adding another stocking this year. Matchy matchy is not my style, I prefer to coordinate.

I think I need to hit up the after Christmas sales this year to find a new tree. After 5 years, this one is starting to look a little rough (could be from all the moves). We couldn't get the star to stay on top this year because it's all bent.

Love seeing this display as I'm doing dishes. The wooded area out our back window makes for a great backdrop...especially now that there is snow out there!

Dylan loves this nativity. I think mostly because I let him play with the pieces.

2 comments:

Patty said...

You did a great job, Aud!! Wish we were with you guys this year:(

Mandi Roth said...

Love your decorations. I agree Decorated homes do make the cozy, warm and fun feelings of Christmas. Your house is beautiful! I hope you have a Merry Christmas!