Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Trying to get settled

Anyone who knows me well knows that I cannot stand clutter. The only time you will see many knick knacks around my house is at Christmas time. Even Dylan's toys are 'clutter' in my eyes (I have learned to quickly glance past them, lol). Now that I've made that publicly known, the boxes and clutter that occur as a result of moving...drives...me...crazy!

This is a peek at our dining room/living room the day after we moved in. While the room has cleared out significantly since last week, there are still boxes to be unpacked and stuff that needs to find a home within our new home. I'm hoping that by the end of this weekend, we will have things mostly in order. I'm ready to get to the fun stuff - getting ready for baby/setting up the nursery.

Dylan has been a trooper through this whole move. I know the child is bored out of his mind, but he has been so so good. He set up camp in a little alcove amongst the boxes. He plugged his travel dvd player into the wall, put in a favorite dvd, grabbed some snacks and just sat on the floor watching a show. After a week and a half of this, however, I think he's almost over it. Good thing we've already met some people from church and they have a weekly play group on Wednesday mornings. We weren't able to go this week because we're both sick, but at least we have one thing to look forward to during the week.

The week before we left Raleigh, we had a nice snow/ice storm come through. The first year we lived in NC, it did not snow at all and barely got below 40 degrees. Of course, that year I went all out and bought Dylan snow pants, a winter coat, hat, gloves, the works. Last year, I bought him a couple winter vests (you know, the big ol' puffy ones) and a hat/mittens. It snowed about 7 inches overnight and that lasted about a week. Other than that, Winter was pretty mild. This year, I bought him nothing that could be considered snow/Winter gear. This was the year that Winter decided to actually descend upon NC! It was freezing cold and the snow/sleet/ice just kept coming. Luckily Dylan's hat and mittens from last year still fit him. Other than those, we had to make do with piling on the layers so he could go play outside in the white stuff. He sure didn't seem to mind.


All in, we are surviving. Mike and I have moved plenty of times in our short marriage, but this one has really taken it's toll on all of us. We are adjusting and I'm sure we'll be just fine here in Virginia Beach, it's just going to take some time.

5 comments:

Mandi Roth said...

I'm glad you made it safely, and I hope you can get unpacked and get some rest and recover. I hope you Love it there.

Angela said...

I could eat that little face! The profile pic of Dylan out in the snow is so precious! I'm taking you with me next time I move. The clutter bugs me too, but after a while I just zone it out!

Patty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patty said...

Well, daughter...guess you won't be using me to help decorate your house! To me, a home without floral arrangements, plants, candles and some knick-knacks just isn't decorated!! Guess that's what my interior decorating classes taught me. So now I know what you REALLY think of my home!:)

Stacy said...

I'm so glad your move has gone well. I bet it has taken a toll on all of you. I can't believe how close you are to your due date. It had to have been hard packing, moving, unpacking. I wish I was there to help.

Dylan is adorable! I love the cute snow pics.