Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dylan Talk

Dylan and I have had a rough couple of months. I think the combination of the move, pregnant mommy, and terrible 3's has caused us to be very discontented with each other. Dylan has spent most days whining/crying to get anything and everything he wants and I have spent many days in tears because I'm just at a loss for how to correct the situation. I'm miserably uncomfortable and hormonal and Dylan is just bored out of his mind and trying to be so independent.

That being said, he is still a pretty funny kid. I really need to be better about documenting all the funny things he says and does throughout the day. So, while I'm thinking about it, here are some of his more recent funny moments.

As Mike leaves for work each morning, Dylan has to stand at the front door to wave him off. The other morning Dylan says to Mike, "Don't hit any trees, Dad. Have a good day." Ummm, should Mike take this as a sign he needs to drive extra careful?

Mike typically will give me a hug and kiss as he's leaving for work and then he'll give Dylan the same. This morning he was running pretty late and failed to do the hug and kiss routine. Dylan was standing at the front door and before the storm door closed all the way he yells to Mike, "Daaaaad, you forgot my hug and kiss! I need them to have a good day." Mike came back inside, looked at me and said "How am I supposed to ignore that?" Dylan got his hug and kisses and all is now right in his world.

All of a sudden, Dylan is beginning to be fearful of different things. For the past couple of months, it's been the dark. Originally we just had to turn his nightlight on when he goes to bed. It has now turned into having to leave his bedroom light AND nightlight on each night. How the child can sleep with all the light is beyond me. But, hey, whatever helps him sleep through the night. His new 'thing' is monsters. I have no idea where he learned of monsters because I'm pretty good about monitoring what he is watching and reading because I think he's still too young for certain things (ie monsters). Monster, however, have somehow crept into his life. Yesterday morning we spent a good 45 minutes hiding under the covers and then trying to 'scare' the monsters out of our house.

Dylan is also a fan of bathroom talk. Meaning, he likes to talk about pooping and peeing anytime, anywhere, to anyone. AWESOME! Well, not really. It can be pretty mortifying in most situations. The other day while exchanging some things at Gymboree, he decided to tell the salesperson that he had a big, brown, mushy poop.

We have been trying really hard to explain the whole 'baby sissy' thing to Dylan. As birth day is approaching, I have started talking about the baby more and more. Dylan talks like he understands what is going on, but I have a feeling that once she's home he'll be wondering when she's going back to where she came from. He currently thinks that my belly button is actually baby sissy. Whenever he lifts my shirt to talk to her or see her, he goes straight for my belly button. It's cute, but I hope he's not forecasting what she'll look like!

4 comments:

Angela said...

What a funny kid! I love his comments to Mike, especially how he can't have a good day without his hug and kiss. So sweet. I tell my kids if use potty talk they have to go sit on the potty. It usually stops them but I'm not opposed to picking them up and sticking them on the toilet! Yeah, the "fears" phase is a fun one! And lights, Preston sleeps in practical daylight. I don't get it. If I go turn off his lamp mid-night and just leave on his night light he'll wake up and turn it back on. I made him switch to a lamp with a less daylight-like wattage. Two children, one mold.

Patty said...

Prepare yourself for LOTS more as the years go by!!

Jorj said...

How funny! He sounds like a cutie! We worried about Isaac, but he did great with Briana until she got mobile and could touch his stuff.

Mandi Roth said...

He is too cute!! Love this stage of kids. They come up with the funniest things.