Sunday, May 30, 2010

What Day Is It?

Wow...time is a flyin' and I'm doing horrible with taking pictures these days. Photography is one of things that certainly interests me, but I'm too lazy to actually set aside some time to learn and practice. Hopefully I will get my act together one of these days.

Like I said in my last post, May turned into quite a busy month. Last weekend Grandpa and Grandma Elkington drove down to visit from Delaware. They still hadn't met Lena, so it was a fun weekend showing off our princess. Dylan, of course, loved having them here. He absolutely loves his Grandparents. Grandma K will play with him for hours on end and this kid never tires of the attention. Not sure where she gets the energy to run around with him all day...oh wait, she doesn't have to do it every day! Both Grandparents enjoyed time snuggling Lena and giving Dylan the attention he seems to be so starved for. Mike and I enjoyed the extra hands to give us a little break.

Lena continues to be a little angel. This girl has captured my heart and I find myself just wanting to sit in the rocker, snuggle up and stare at her cute face. She is slowly gaining back some weight, but she is still kind of miniature. Dylan was never this small so I'm kind of enjoying having a little baby. I think I'm also taking advantage of her because unless I get blindsided, she will be my last baby and I want to make sure I cherish every moment.

Dylan was a crappy crappy sleeper. Oh, did I mention what a bad sleeper he was? So, imagine my surprise, when at merely 5 weeks old, Lena slept through the night. I thought for sure it was just a fluke, but then she did it again. And again. And again. She has consistently slept through the night for 9 days. Some people consider a baby sleeping through the night if they sleep 5-6 hours straight. Well, when I say sleeping through the night*, I'm talking 8-9 hours straight. And, well, this girl is sleeping from 10pm until 6:30am. By my calculations that is 8 1/2 hours. Ahhh, I am a happy Mom. Well, except for the fact that my 3 1/2 year old still sleeps like crap. *For anyone wondering how this happened, I follow the Babywise method. I don't follow every single aspect of it, but I do like the schedule they encourage and it has worked for both my kids. (Yes, Dylan sleeps through the night. He just likes to wake up before the roosters.)

Seriously...don't you just want to snuggle her?! I've had a few people ask, so I'm just going to answer for any inquiring minds. NO...Lena does not have birthmarks all over her face! On her forehead, it's called a stork bite. She also has some on the back of her neck. Dylan had stork bites when he was born and they faded away by the time he was 6 months old. Although, when he gets really upset/angry they resurface...it's kind of cute and that's how I can tell if he's truly upset. The marks on Lena's eyelids are called 'angel kisses'. I have been told by a few pediatricians and parents of other children with them that they too will fade in a few months time. For now, I like to kiss her on her eyelids to remind her that she's extra watched over.

I am the first to admit that these two try my patience like nothing I've ever experienced before. BUT, I would not trade being their mother for anything in the world. They light up my life and I feel more complete than I ever have in the past. I struggle daily with the fact that I cannot be a perfect Mother to them. I feel bad that they are exposed to so many of my weaknesses. They deserve someone to treat them perfectly. I do, however, know that no person on this Earth could love them more than I do. I am so lucky.

2 comments:

Destiny Rayburn said...

I'm so happy for you Aud. You deserve all the happiness your little ones bring you. Love ya!

Stacy said...

Such cute kids! It's always nice when grandma and grandpa come to play. You are a great mom, and nobody is perfect.