Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dealing and Surviving

I have to say, I love when Gram comes to help out. My mom was in town for 3 weeks to help out with cleaning and taking care of the kids while I recovered from my C-section. But, as it goes in life, good things must come to an end and Gram had to return home this past Sunday leaving me to adjust to life with two kiddos.

I did what any good parent would...set my expectations really low. That seems to have worked in my favor. I figured if I expect the worst, there is no place to go but up. The first night, the kids decided to tag team me and alternated waking up every two hours. Not cool! Luckily, it was a one night thing and Lena went back to waking up only two times and Dylan went back to sleeping through the night. Unfortunately, Dylan is still insisting that 5:30/6am is an appropriate time to start the day. Ah well, I'll take what I can get. We have succesfully made it to CostCo, two playgroup outings, the grocery store and a couple pediatrician appointments...just the three of us. High fives for me!

Dylan has just been an awesome big brother so far. He is so concerned with all things Lena. He doesn't like it when she cries and tries to solve what ails her. He is also continuing with his comedic performances. When asked what Gram's name is, his response was "Mommy's Mom Elkington." We are also still working on potty training...this kid is just stubborn (oh, and a little scared of pooping in the potty). Whenever I tell him he's such a big boy, he replies "No Mom, not until I poop in the potty. Then I'll be a big boy."

We are still loving life with Lena. I can't believe she is already 3 weeks old! Last week we were thinking she is a bit colicky. This week I learned that the poor girl was just hungry all the time. She has lost quite a bit of weight since her birth. We thought we had the problem corrected until I took her for her 2 week check-up earlier this week. At that visit I found out she has actually lost more weight and now weighs less than ever. Makes me so sad! So, we're now supplementing her with formula and it has made for a much more content baby. I have to take her back to the Dr every 2 days until she starts showing some weight gain...next appointment is today, so hopefully there will be some improvement. She is also staying awake for longer periods of time...which is nice now that she doesn't scream the entire time she's awake. My prayers have also been answered because this girl is an awesome sleeper! I can put her down awake and she will soothe herself to sleep. She is starting to crack a little smile, focus on objects and faces, follows my voice, and loves to wiggle all over the place. All in, she is a much easier baby than Dylan was and that has made the adjustment to two kids more pleasant.

3 comments:

Patty said...

It was so wonderful to spend the past 3 weeks with all of you. Hugs to all...missing you!

Angela said...

Way to go, mom! I really can't believe how brave you to venture out so often! Crossing my fingers, wishing you a chunky baby. That little Lena has quite the wardrobe! Is it wrong to be jealous of a 3-wk old?

Stacy said...

Such cute kids. It sounds like you are handling everything really well. I'm glad the kiddos are sleeping well and that Lena is not as fussy. Hopefully she will start to gain weight soon. Don't worry about Dylan not potty training yet. Kaleb was terrified to sit on the toilet for a lot time. I just kept sitting him there and letting him scream. Then he started showing interest himself. He has been potty trained for a while now, and has been doing great. The time with come for your little man.