Thursday, April 22, 2010

Completion

Wow...April has been a busy month. I cannot believe that it's practically over, but I think it's safe to say that when I look back at the end of 2010 April will be the most memorable month.

Lena Kathleen Elkington arrived Thursday April 15th at 9:10am. She weighed just one ounce less than her big brother - 8 lbs 5 oz. She is also our resident shorty as she measured in at 19 inches (Dylan was 21 inches).

Words cannot possibly describe how much this little girl has already changed our world. I know she's only a week old, but I firmly believe that you can tell a child's demeanor/personality from the day they are born. Lena is proving to be a sweetheart. She is quiet, sleepy, and loves to be snuggled. Complete opposite of Dylan when he was a newborn. It took me several months to feel bonded to Dylan. I feel very greatful to have felt the bond with Lena throughout my pregnancy and it just grew stronger once she entered the world.

I am so in love with this little snuggly thing and I very rarely put her down. I will probably regret that in a few months when she's attached to my hip 24/7, but for now I just don't care. People have told me that you just 'know' when you are done having kids. I didn't really believe that, but hoped it was true because of how fickle I have always been in the children department. I can now attest that it's true...you just 'know.' Within hours of my surgery, I just had the overwhelming feeling that our family is complete. I have my two perfect children and I honestly feel they are the two who needed to come to us.

Mom and daughter meet for the first time. This C-section was so much better than my surgery with Dylan. I was completely aware of everything going on this time and felt like I was able to take it all in and enjoy what was happening. I cried as soon as I heard her cry and didn't stop until they wheeled her to the nursery. It was also nice that Mike was coherent this time around...he was super sick when we had Dylan and neither of us really remember much about his actual birth.

Getting checked out...she's perfect.

Lena is already a Daddy's girl. She loves to snuggle up with Mike. Can't say I blame her, he is pretty comfy to lean on. We both knew long ago that Mike would be mush if we ever had a little girl. We were so right. His entire demeanor changes when he so much as looks at her. It is the most amazing thing to see.

Seriously...how can you resist that sweet face...angel kisses and all?!

Love me some baby footsies.

Lena loves her little vibrating chair. I have to admit, it looks pretty comfy and I wouldn't mind being able to take a nap in it myself.


The very very proud big brother. Dylan was so hesitant when we were in the hospital. I think it kind of scared him. But, he has been awesome since we have been home. He asks to hold 'baby sissy' several times a day and will hold her as long as she isn't crying. He even tells me to go away so they can have some privacy. He is going to be an awesome big brother!
It's safe to say that we are loving our newly expanded family. I've already forgotten how life was before Lena arrived. She was totally worth the wait.

5 comments:

Stacy said...

I'm so happy for you guys! Congratulations on your sweet princess. I'm glad everything has gone well. I love ya!

Courtney said...

Awww, congrats Audra!! Lena is sooo cute! And I love the look on Dylan's face! :-) Too adorable.

Melanie said...

Amazing pictures! I love that you have your two perfect kids! Enjoy them. And don't worry about holding her too much....they grow up too fast and won't always want to be held by Mommy!

Angela said...

Beautifully written, Aud. Made me a little teary-eyed to read! I love the pic of her in the pink hat! Such a cute snuggle bug! I'm itching to hold her!

Mandi Roth said...

So SO happy for you guys! she is precious and adorable. Love the pictures of her. so so sweet! I love cuddles and snuggles. enjoy them while you can get them. SO happy!!