Thursday, July 17, 2008

This Is Supposed to be Rewarding?

Everyone talks about how being a mom is the most rewarding job...blah, blah, blah. I never considered having food thrown at me to be rewarding. Let me tell you a little story and then, if you dare, tell me that being a mom is rewarding.

Yesterday, Dylan wakes up happy as a free monkey. I now realize that he was just setting me up to look like a fool for thinking he was over the terrible twos. Within an hour of breakfast; or immediately following Daddy's departure for work, her turned into Mr Brat. He followed me around the house whining and clawing at my leg. When I tried to give him a snack, he knocked it out of my hand. After the snack episode, he went running upstairs and into his room. I could hear him freaking out about something so I went to see what was causing the drama. He had thrown every toy that he owns into his crib and couldn't get them back out through the slats. Instead of giving him his toys, I pulled out his blankie and pacifier and prayed that he would just be quiet. Needless to say, that didn't happen. He then climbed on top of his dresser (by pulling out the drawers and using them as steps -- this was new to me, I'd never seen him do that) and proceeded to empty his container of wipes. He then climbed down and took the aforementioned wipes and shoved them all into his diaper pail then grew frustrated when he couldn't pull them back out (because I wouldn't let him).

Skip to about an hour later...I had a couple errands to run and I wanted to get them done before naptime. So, I got him all dressed and ready then let him go downstairs to watch Backyardigans while I got myself ready. I went downstairs 5 minutes later to find that he had taken off all his clothes and was tugging at his diaper (the kid loves being naked, but every time I let him run around like that for even a minute, he inevitably pees on the carpet). I got him dressed again - he pitched a fit the entire time. Load him up in the car; still throwing a tantrum (screaming, throwing his shoes at me, etc)...all the way to my destination...all the way through my short trip inside (literally 5 minutes max, oh and he is shoeless)...all the way home -- no way was I going anywhere else after that fiasco. Once inside I mix up a juice cup and practically throw him in his crib. He sleeps for 2 1/2 hours. Ahhhhhhhh...Heaven!

He wakes up just in time for lunch and I think, now that he is all refreshed we should be good friends the rest of the day. How naive of me. He woke up screaming and it continued through his diaper change, down the stairs, and into the high chair. I was smart enough to make his lunch before getting him out of his bed, so I immediately placed his plate in front of him. On a typical day, he will quit crying and just eat his food. This day, however, Dylan had other plans. He picked up that plate of peanut butter & jelly AND applesauce, looked me right in the eyes and threw that plate AT me. Now we're talking WAR! I'll spare you the sordid details...let's just say that he ate lunch, so I felt victorious.

I still had those other errands to run, but I was dreading the ordeal. I decided to take him to the playground to run off some steam. Now normally, this kid is all about the playground...we stay for hours. Oh no, not this day. He ran over to the jungle gym like normal, but then he just stood there and screamed and whined. After about 15 minutes of trying to coax him to have fun, I grabbed his hand and started walking toward the car. This particular playground has a little sand box. As we were walking past it (usually I steer clear), Dylan decided to take a short cut through it. When I said "No, let's go to the car," he sat down, threw sand over his head and whined some more! Yay...now I get to have sand everywhere in my car and listen to him whine.

Anyway, let's just say that the grocery store was more of the same (anything I put in the cart, he used his Go-Go Gadget arms to reach in the back and throw it onto the floor), as was the drive home. Around 5pm, he decided that he was done and wanted to be my friend again...hmmm, right before Dad comes home from work. I think he just wants Mike to believe that I'm a liar.

So, I ask you again...Is this rewarding?

8 comments:

momtoabean said...

Oh gosh! Um...I think the rewards come with time. Either that or you have to really think about them during sleepy time, then, and only then can you appreciate your kids! LOL Its hard to be appreciative when you are getting beat up and screamed at :) That's why God makes them cute, so you don't leave them at the Bus Stop :)

LOVE your background by the way!!

Jorj said...

Somedays I wonder...but then they are so dang cute!!

Laura Barrett said...

Oh Audra, you sure do tell a good story. I was laughing the entire time! I'm laughing because I know for a fact that I have plenty of days like that to look forward to...oh dear, what have I got myself into? There's no turning back...I better just hop on and enjoy the ride:)

Destiny Rayburn said...

As I've said before, I AM NEVER HAVING KIDS!!!!!!!!!! and stories like this make me want them even less.

Patty said...

You need to write a book...it could make you RICH!!! I'd even contribute to it!

Would't You Like to Know said...

I feel your pain!! It seems when Payton is having a good day Erika is a pain, and vice versa. On Friday I was lucky enough that they were both having bad days. Then Jason got home and they were angels. Grrr...

Hope he is being better for you today. Tell him his MIL will be upset if he doesn't behave.

Meaja said...

You know what, the rewards are getting sympathy from moms like me! I feel your pain and it's not fun. BUT...the good thing is Dylan knows you are his mom and he knows you'll still love him regardless, wink!

Angela said...

Ahhh, yes! I have to laugh at your story. Believe me, it's the laugh of a tired and worn and understanding mom, not a judgmental one! If you refrained from yelling or cursing, you're doing better than me! I'm afraid in the few hours our kids spent together, my children's temper-rising/monkey-climbing/
food-throwing/fit-pitching skills rubbed off on Dylan!