Monday, September 21, 2009

Random Rambling

I've been encountering people lately who keep telling me that they've been offended by this or that. It's really starting to get on my nerves. I don't think I've done the offending in any of these cases and I try really hard to always be aware of the fact that I don't know every detail about other people's lives. They may be going through some trial that they prefer to keep private. It's not my place to judge and I try hard to not take offense to things unless I know someone did or said something intentionally to hurt me.

My Dad taught me a good lesson when I was in junior high and high school. I was kind of a shy kid and often got my feelings hurt by friends or peers. He would always tell me that I was the only one who could let my feelings be hurt. Not exactly what I wanted to hear at that moment, but I never forgot those words. As a result, it is incredibly hard to offend me and I am a much happier person because of it. I don't spend my time wallowing in self pity or holding grudges against other people.

I was reminded of this life lesson today as I was reading a church publication. I really liked this quote and thought I would share it here. "...it ultimately is impossible for another person to offend you or to offend me. Indeed, believing that another person offended us is fundamentally false. To be offended is a choice we make. It is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else." (David A. Bednar)

My words of wisdom to anyone feeling offended? Get over it!

4 comments:

Patty said...

Good advice! I remember hearing Elder Bednar's talk and wishing so many others were hearing it as well. Thanks for posting his quote! You're such a wise daughter...

Mandi Roth said...

Great quote!!! I so agree with you! Only we can allow someone to offend us. Great post!!

Kirk said...

Thanks for being who you are and willing to be taught. You have made this dad wonderfully proud.

Stacy said...

I'm so behind reading blogs, and this is what I needed back when you posted it! You are so smart! Love you!