Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Much Needed Revival

I love my family, I truly do. I love Mike and Dylan more than life itself and would unthinkingly lay down my life for theirs. That being said, I need my girlfriends! I have developed some very good friendships here in North Carolina and I cherish these relationships. But, there is nothing that can compare to old friends. The friends that have grown up with me and seen me through many, many good times and some not so good times. Unfortunately for me, all of my old, best friends live on the opposite end of the country...Utah, to be exact. I have been lucky to see my friend Angela on several occasions over the past few years, but it has been almost 5 years since I have been to Utah and therefore it has been the same amount of time since I have seen my other old friends. Mike (well, actually I) bought me a plane ticket to Utah for my Birthday this year. I returned yesterday from a very wonderful and much needed trip to spend some quality, fun time with my dear girlfriends...sans husband and child.

First, I had to drop off Dylan at my parents house in Charleston. My parents were so gracious to agree to keep him for us while I was away. I spent a couple days at their house because my brother and his girlfriend were visiting. It was good to see them and it's always fun to watch Dylan interact with his Grams and Pa.

My mom is a wonderful home decorator. I really think she should pursue home staging or interior design as a career. She and my Dad always do beautiful landscaping/gardening in the Spring. This year was no exception and their flowers were gorgeous. Dylan really enjoyed looking at all the pretty flowers.

Dylan loves his Pa. We spent a lovely Sunday morning just sitting on the front porch. I returned home on Tuesday, leaving behind a very sad child who became un-sad within five minutes of my departure.
I left Raleigh very early Thursday morning and arrived in Salt Lake City, UT around lunch time. My best friend Angela picked me up from the airport and we headed straight for the Gateway (a fun, outdoor mall area in downtown SLC). We met up with our friend, Melanie, and one of her sons, Josh, for lunch. Melanie, Angela and I all know each other from our high school years in Michigan. It had been a very long time since the three of us had been together. We had a great time eating and then shopping for a few hours.

After we finished shopping, Ang and I drove a few minutes north and went to visit our old college roommate Stacy. We went out to dinner with Stacy and her two boys, Sage and Kaleb. I absolutely adore Stacy and her two little guys are adorable and hilarious. I really wish we'd been able to spend some more time together.

Stacy and I became really close when we were roommates, even though it was for a short period of time. I love that we can still hang out like nothing has changed.

Sage just wanted to ham it up for the camera.

This was my first time meeting Kaleb, but he had no problems with me holding him. Thank goodness! He is such a sweetheart.

Ang was my photographer most of the trip, but I was not about to leave her out of the picture fun.
Part of my excitement about going to Utah was that I could have my hair done by someone who actually knows what they're doing. One of my best friends, Destiny, was my stylist all through college. I have majorly missed my appointments with her. I may just have to start flying out to Utah 3 times a year...I think it's worth the expense. D, Ang and I all lived in the same apartment complex for a couple years and hung out all the time. We have seen each other through a lot! Having the two of them by my side helped me get through a lot of heartaches. They also have provided some of my best memories from my 7 years in Utah.
I love these two girls with all my heart. And I really wish that we could all live closer to each other. It was so indescribably fun to hang out and just do what girlfriends do.

Angela and Jason have the two cutest little guys (Landon & Preston). I was worried that they wouldn't remember me; I have only seen them one or two times. Lucky for me, they were my little buddies. The cutest thing was to come up from the basement and see these two cuddling together each morning. Thanks guys for letting me be a part of the fam for a few days!
Saturday morning I met up with my friend Andrea for breakfast. It was so nice to catch up with her. No picture though...I forgot my camera. That afternoon, Ang and I went shopping for about 6 hours...it's what we do best and was totally fun. That evening we met up with our roommate from Freshman year, Lara. I haven't seen Lara in 9 years! It still felt like nothing has changed...even though a lot has. We met for dinner at my fave restaurant, Cafe Rio and then went for ice cream. I laughed so hard, my stomach was hurting.

Sunday was spent going to church, driving through the mountains, visiting the Draper temple, and shopping at IKEA. That evening, Destiny came over to visit for a couple hours. Her poor husband wasn't feeling too well, but he was a good sport and suffered through all our girl talk and reminiscing.
All in, this was one of my most memorable vacations and it was much needed. I have been through a lot of hard times over the past year and I really needed to be with my old friends. There is just nothing that will ever compare to these relationships and I am so greatful that we have all managed to stay close even though there are many miles between us. I send my biggest, heartfelt thanks to everyone who helped make this trip happen.
Love ya girls! Can't wait to do it again...hopefully sooner than 5 years.

5 comments:

Angela said...

Nothing compares to long time friends! It was great to have you here and see everyone!!!!

Angela said...

I just had to look through this post again. What a great trip! I had the best weekend with you and all our "old" friends! I can't believe how much time has passed, but when we're sitting around laughing and telling stories, it seems like no time at all.

Jorj said...

Sounds like you had a great time! A trip like that (without kids) sounds like a DREAM!! Maybe someday...

Gina said...

Audra...I'm so glad you had such a great time in Utah!! How great for you to spend time with your good friends!! I'm sure they loved every minute of it too!! I'm glad your back though!! Looks like you experienced the best parts of Utah (especially Cafe Rio)!!

Stacy said...

It was so fun to have you come out! I miss you! I wish we could have had more time to hang out too. We will have to make another get together soon. I love all the pics.